The first episode is the set up for the whole series. It introduces the characters and lets us see a glimpse of this universe. I watched the show with my "Mundane" husband. Of course, I know the story backwards and forwards. But I wanted to see if the storytelling would make sense to him. So, I quizzed him after the show. I think he was a bit puzzled trying to sort out the various groups and so he isn't sure if he liked it Shadowhunters or not. I, however, unabashedly loved it!!!
What I liked:
- Jocelyn was such a bad-ass fighter! I loved that she kicked butt and she got a chance to show she was a true Shadowhunter.
- Simon was adorable and you could see there was great chemistry between him and Clary. I loved Simon's reactions when he couldn't see who Clary was talking to. So funny!
- Isabelle was as stunning as I imagined her from the books. I thought her outfits were really amazing and I liked her interactions with Clary.
- Jace was arrogant, bossy, handsome, and very funny. "What? No thank you for saving your life?" Again, he is just as I thought he would be from the novels.
- Clary was so sweet and cute! I loved her rapport with Simon and how she only needed a look to shoot Jace down.
- I was worried that the effects would be cheesy but overall I was impressed.
- I thought the glowing green demon eyes were a particularly nice touch and it helped the audience figure out who was a demon and who was not.
- I also enjoyed the runes on the shadowhunters. I liked that they seemed like they were formed with blood, and were not tattoos.
- Some of the lines were priceless, especially if you are a fan of the books!
- I had a big smile on my face as Clary lamented, "My life couldn't be more mundane."
- All the times Simon references how strange Clary is behaving, "Do we have a Meth problem, Clary?"
What I didn't like:
- Clary's reactions were sometimes over the top. Perhaps it was the dialogue from that scene that made it seem overly dramatic, but I felt Clary's reaction was overdone in the scene where she goes through the portal and leaves her mom. I DO love the actress. I loved the tears and most of the times where she was terrified. The chemistry between her and the other characters was great. I just wish the director had dialed it down a notch in that one scene.
- We didn't get to see much of Alec! I think he had about five lines in the entire episode. I know this will change in upcoming shows, but I was disappointed that there wasn't a bigger introduction.